Thursday, October 2, 2008

Walk a mile in someone elses shoes......

Last night I was watching a program on Discovery Health about a family that have six children that have some form of Autism. This family have so many trials and have so much to deal with, it really made me feel grateful for what I have and realize that there is always someone else with bigger trials than I have. It broke my heart to see these children, who are blessed with amazing parents, who do the best they can to help them through this life. I know Heavenly Father has sent each one of these children to this family for a reason and I know that he is blessing them.

Discovery Health Profiles the Inspiring Kirton Family in Autism x6

SILVER SPRING, Md., Sept. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- When John and Robin Kirton first married, they knew they wanted to have a large family -- but like many couples, they had no idea what they were in for. Today, the Kirtons are the parents of six children -- each of whom has been diagnosed with autism.

To say the Kirtons live modestly would be an understatement. The entire eight-member Kirton family resides in 1,100-square-foot house with a single bathroom located outside of Salt Lake City. Caring for the children's special needs requires round-the-clock supervision, making it impossible for either parent to have a permanent full-time job and causing financial resources to be scarce. Autism x6 takes viewers into the Kirtons' world and offers a view of John and Robin's daily struggle to maintain order in the midst of chaos, where the household can spin out of control the moment they turn their backs.



Considered to be a spectrum disorder, autism ranges from severe to mild -- and the Kirton children span the entire spectrum. Viewers will meet --

-- Mary, 3: Diagnosed with pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) -- the least severe form of autism

-- Ammon, 4: Diagnosed with classic autism -- the most severe end of the spectrum

-- Sarah, 6: Diagnosed with classic autism

-- Nephi, 9: Diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome -- a high-functioning form of autism

-- Emma, 10: Diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome

-- Bobby, 14: Diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome

AUTISM x6 is the portrait of a resilient family coping with the struggles of each day by rolling with the punches and maintaining their sense of humor. The documentary also serves as a profile of the unconditional love that parents feel for their children.

"We did not choose to have autistic children, but they are here," said John. "We love them, and we want to do the best we can for them. That's the right thing to do."

I was truly inspired by this family and I admire them for pretty much giving up their life in the service of their children. If any of you get to see the program again, I know you will also be touched.

3 comments:

Liz Prisbrey said...

I am glad you shared this with us. I know that I have heard of this family before, but every time I do, it touches and helps me. I admire who they are as parents and what they are able to take on. Then I feel bad for all the things I find to complain about that really don't matter or make a difference.

aubri said...

Oh man, I'll have to see when they replay this. I used to work with an autistic boy and then I got a job at the high school in the autism unit. I am so intrigued by it. These parents are awesome because really, these kids are so aware of everything around them they just down't know how to express themselves.

Thanks for sharing this. We all are really blessed to have happy and healthy kids!

Alexis Treese said...

Its so true... we can get wrapped up with poor me but everyone has their struggles and a lot are far worst then our own. Thanks for this reminder.