Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Never a dull moment....

Gavin got 4 stitches

A Henderson Fire Engine


Gavin on the Fire Engine

Gavin with one of the crew

Sunday started off like any normal Sunday, or so I thought. I was
giving Gavin & Tyrone a bath and had left the bathroom to go into their room and get their Sunday clothes layed out. Then I heard a bang, a splash and Gavin let out a big cry. I ran into the bathroom and he had pulled the shower curtain across halfway and somehow slipped and bumped his chin off the side of the bathtub. At first he was just crying and then I saw blood on his neck. When I looked closer and had him tilt his chin up, I discovered he had split his chin open. I could actually see some fat from his chin. It made me a little quesy, but I called Lucas and he came and helped me get both boys out of the bath. We both agreed that Gavin would need stitches. Lucas took Gavin to St. Rose Dominican Siena hospital and were seen right away, because the E.R was completely empty. Lucas called me on his way home. They had gone to the hospital and were back within 2 hours. It was amazing. Lucas said it was really sad, because the nurses had to strap Gavin down and wrap his body up like a burrito in order to stitch his chin. He was screaming "Daddy, let's go home, all done." I would have been bawling if I were there.
The highlight of the hospital trip for Gavin was that he saw a fire truck outside the hospital. Gavin is really into fire trucks lately and it's funny because there is a certain rivalry between police officers and fire fighters. Gavin was gushing about the fire truck and the firemen. Lucas said to one of them, "it's pretty sad when the son of a police officer is obsessed with fire trucks." The firemen then gave Gavin a tour of the engine and gave him a fire hat. Gavin was seriously in heaven and soon forgot all about his chin. It's funny how you never know, starting your day, how it will turn out.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Gavin...and, please tell me Lucas gave my number to the crew...HOLLA!

Lynette said...

Poor little guy. I saw his chin on sunday. He sure was a trooper about it! I was sad you weren't able to come to Jon and Rachelle's, but totally understand when your kid is DONE, your DONE!

Renee' P said...

Poor Gavin! What a day. That scares me. I leave Dom in the bath to get his bedtime attire set out. Maybe I shouldn't do that anymore...ARe you okay? How's Gavin? When are you due again?

Liz Prisbrey said...

Oh, that is the worst! It is so hard to watch your kids going through that as they as staring at you, begging for help. I hate it and I don't envy it of any parent. I am glad that he is okay!

Staci said...

I know the guy in the picture with him! That is so funny! HAHAHA! Poor little guy i hope it feels better soon!

Liz Prisbrey said...

I kept looking and looking at that picture of Gavin and the firefighter because he looked so familiar. I finally had Jess come in and take a look. We pinned it!! Jess grew up with him and even worked with him for a while. Crazy world!
I'm so sorry to hear about Gavin! It is the worst when you have to watch your kid go through that. I hope he is feeling better.

Nicole said...

Mandy, I was happy to hear from you. We live so close, but with Gracie out of school, we'll never see each other any more. So this will be fun. I have some fun things to talk to you about. First of all, the other day Alan and I were watching t.v., some cop show. They were interviewing a pros. and BAM there was Lucas. It was awesome! I get rediculously excited about that kind of thing. Then tonight I get your message and come to check out your blog. I am reading about your sweet little boy getting his stiches and BAM there is our good friend Kyle. He is the firefighter in the picture. He even stopped by our house today to say hello. I got so excited that I woke Alan up from the couch and had him take a look. Anyway, i am rambling but I had to share all of that exciting news! Talk to you later, Nicole

Nicole said...

mandy, I tried to leave a comment yesterday and I guess it didn't work. So I will try it again. Anyway, I was so glad to hear from you. We are all doing good and I am excited to see how Gracie will do in kindergarten. Also, the other night we were watching some sort of cop show when out of nowhere- there waw Lucas! Alan and I were pretty excited. Then I was checking out your blog and the firefighter in the picture with your little guy is our good friend Kyle. Again I got so excited that I had to wake Alan up off the couch to come and see it! Hope to hear from you soon and hope all is well with your pregnancy! Nicole

Allie said...

Aren't little boys fun?? :). My second has gone to the urgent care twice in the past 4 months to have his skin glued back together. Oh, the wonderful years of emergency room visits we have to look forward to.